...and according to some posts here, I leave FIFA 20 just because Juve's name is missing? Never!
FIFA 20 finally includes a completely new gameplay engine.
This year we will have so much fun, trust me.
FIFA 20 Gameplay Features Deep Dive - PART 1
Hey FIFA fans,
We are here today to share a deeper dive into some of the announced (and a few unannounced) features that we’re bringing into FIFA 20’s gameplay.
Parallel to addressing some of the direct community concerns coming from FIFA 19 - previously mentioned HERE and HERE, many of the new features that are planned for FIFA 20 originated from further feedback gathered from all parts of the FIFA community, including Game Changers, pro players, forums, and a variety of other sources across the community.
These new features build upon previous FIFAs and community feedback, and aim to bring more realism, intelligence and emotion to the game. Keep in mind that we’re here to share the intended behavior for all of the features described, and that we’ll keep on monitoring their performance as the game launches.
One of the main aspects of FIFA 20 gameplay that we wanted to emphasize is within one-on-one situations. In real-life football, some of the most exciting moments derive from these types of situations, and we wanted to shine a spotlight on them.
Due to the re-architecture of our Positioning system, players should find themselves in one-on-one battles, all over the pitch, more often in FIFA 20. Both the dribbler and the defender will have more time and space to read the play and show their skills than ever before - be it a winger trying to break through the defense, or a holding midfielder closing down a deadly striker - these are some of the moments that can define the advantage in a balanced match.
Additionally, our goal for FIFA 20 is to provide gameplay that allows you to read and predict, rather than a game where you only react to your opponent. Strategy and overall understanding of football are key.
To create these moments, the team focused on four main aspects: spacing, movement, game flow and tools.
- Spacing and movement: The team made a big restructure of the AI positioning system, emphasizing user controlled actions. Players on the pitch should behave more realistically than ever, keeping the space and reacting with the urgency needed for each situation. To improve unnecessary player movements and hectic feeling of the game, players will now try to keep their formation and position, anticipating the opponent’s next move instead of just going towards them. At the same time, players will still make runs and offer support when the opportunity arises.
- Game Flow: The focus was on building a slower and more composed game off the ball, while keeping it very responsive and agile on the ball. Players will have more time to read situations and plan their next steps putting emphasis on more tactical defending, but at the same time, players will be more responsive and faster than before allowing for explosive runs and breakaways.
- Tools: Achieving a one-on-one situation was the first step, the next step was to provide both sides with tools to resolve these plays. Some of these new tools are;
- New Strafe Dribble
- Controlled Tackling
- Agile Jockey System
- New commands:
- Lofted Ground Pass: X+X / A + A
- Lofted Ground Through Pass: △+△ / Y + Y
- Driven Lobbed Through Pass: L1 +R1 + △ / LB + RB + Y
- Slow Dribble: L2 + R2 + LS / LT + RT + LS
- Set Up Touch: R1 + RS Direction (Hold) / RB + RS Direction (Hold)
- Strafe Dribble: L1 +LS / LB + LS
- Strafe Dribble (lock face angle): L1 + R1 + LS / LB + RB + LS
- Goalkeeper Cross Intercept: △ / Y + △ / Y (Hold)
As mentioned above, to achieve our goal of creating exciting moments, we needed to provide players with the tools for success in these situations.
One of the big improvements was to make the game more responsive than ever before. We created a new system that provides players with the ability to perform last-second button input changes in certain situations during Passing, Shooting and Trapping. Where in previous years those inputs would have been too late to impact your players actions, FIFA 20 allows for increased fidelity with the controller and responsiveness to user reactions.
We also expanded the Active Touch system from FIFA 19 to our ball control system, allowing players to preserve their speed and agility when approaching the ball for a trap. This system also improves the facing direction, initial control and contact with the ball, and allows for more fluid follow-up actions.
Here are the tools players will have at their fingertips:
- Strafe Dribbling: Strafe is extremely agile and responsive, and by holding L1/LB this mechanic gives players a more precise control over their movements. This provides players with a lot of creative ways to dribble, like suddenly changing direction or luring your opponent in and accelerating past them. The team also created a variation of the mechanic to allow players to perform a Strafe locked to the current facing angle, instead of facing the goal like the default Strafe. This technique will allow for even more control and precision.
- L1/LB for Strafe Dribble
- L1+R1/LB+RB for Strafe Dribble (lock face angle)
- Controlled Tackling: A revamped system that favors manual tackling by making sure that the defender trying to tackle does so in a favorable context to your team on the vast majority of occasions. Defenders will be more successful in recovering possession by tackling the ball towards a teammate to keep the ball in play after a tackle. To reward manual defending, this system also minimizes the frequency of attackers keeping possession of the ball after a successful tackle, by placing more emphasis on the strength of the defender and improving the stumbles caused by tackles.
- O / B to Stand Tackle or Hold O / B for Hard Tackles
- This system will be less apparent when using slide tackles, since they trigger as soon as the button is pressed.
Akin to real football, once in a while the ball will bounce back to the attacker, however the frequency of this will be reduced.
- Agile Jockey: A refresh of the manual Jockey system, making it more agile and responsive when defending. This mechanic will allow user-controlled defenders to better cut off passing lanes or block a shot. The goal of the new jockey system is to encourage players to use manual defending and accurately predict what their opponent will do.
- L2/LT for Slow Jockey
- L2/LT + R2/RT for Fast Jockey
- Composed Finishing: Improved 1-on-1 shooting consistency, creating more clinical finishing close to the goal. We already covered this new system in depth in our previous Gameplay Pitch Notes.
- Set Up Touch: New mechanic for FIFA 20, players can use this special skill to set up their following shot/pass to be more accurate and precise. While this move is very powerful if performed correctly, it requires space and time to do so, leaving the player vulnerable to opponents during the move. This touch also opens up new creative possibilities, allowing for fake outs and other moves to add to your arsenal.
- R1/RB + RS (in a direction) to Set Up your next shot/pass
Part 2 in next post due to post limit reached.
Fidel, good to see you optimistic for Fifa 20 and his Gameplay! I sparely Play Fifa 19. Only sometimes because of your excellent FAES mods and your Tools, and some other good mods from some modders. The fact that is hard to built a modded Fifa like we all know from Fifa 16 is sad. I reinstalled Fifa 16 last time, just for Looking what is possible to mod and I am having fun. Unfortunetly it is a very old game now in expectation for a coming Fifa 20 and I don´t really want playing any longer a old game my wishes are having really better Gameplay in Fifa 20. With you and the other modders effort I guess not much Players would Play a Default Fifa the last years. I tried PES, to be up to date, but I don´t like it for longer Play sessions. Wanna say: One time Fifa Player, Always Fifa Player like the most I guess. But Konami make there games excellent for modding, but for me it´s not enough.
So, yes let us all hope with your words in mind Fifa 20 makes more fun to Play. Keep your Motivation, Bro!