Soccer Gaming Forums
Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Rules User CP Tools Home

Go Back   Soccer Gaming Forums | FIFA Forums, FIFA Mods, Futball > Off Topic Forums > SG Players Lounge

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 130 votes, 3.13 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59:PM   #53
Nimreitz
Make America Great Again

Nimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
Send a message via ICQ to Nimreitz
Not in Wisconsin. They all follow the German purity law and generally are of very high quality. A lot of the **** from the West Coast I don't care for though.

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'
Nimreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41:AM   #54
Alex
sKIp_E

Alex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
I'm SURE there would be some good microbreweries in the US. Just as there are in loads of big beer drinking countries. US mass produced lager is crap, but that's not the argument now, is it.

Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00:AM   #55
Nimreitz
Make America Great Again

Nimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
When I was in Germany a LOT of places made their own beer, which is what you're talking about, but it was rarely better than the major brands. I don't think it's a crime to compare US Microbrews with major brewers in more "traditional" beer producing nations if you're talking strictly quality. It isn't like there is some hidden gem German beer that doesn't get its due.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:30:AM   #56
Alex
sKIp_E

Alex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowAlex is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
Not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about lesser known breweries all over the world.

I'm actually agreeing that, there are probably US microbreweries that make great beer. But there are microbreweries here that do too. And in Czech, and in Germany, and in the UK, and in NZ and in loads of places.

I'm just saying US mainstream beer doesn't compare to mainstream beer in those beer producing countries (or most of the world to be honest). Mainstream US lager is generally terrible, and so weak flavoured. Bud, Miller etc.

But I definitely agree that there would be quality brews from micro-breweries. I'm just pointing out that this isn't unique to the US.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:34:AM   #57
Nimreitz
Make America Great Again

I understood your point. My point was that the mass produced beers in Germany and the UK are generally not going to be much different in quality from the microbrews. At least the ones that are good (not Amstel or Heineken). The whole point was that US Microbreweries are crushing EVERYONE right now. The major beers give a good account of what their country can do and is doing, with the US being the huge exception.

Bud and Miller is **** made for women and retard southerners, but its so ubiquitous that even men who should know better drink it. It's also dirt cheap. People drink a lot of Miller here to support local industry, which I don't have a problem with, I just wish they'd support the local microbreweries.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:49:AM   #58
Alex
sKIp_E

Yeah, they definitely should. People are idiots though.

Especially most beer drinkers (even though I'm one).

Since I did beer tasting, and studied it quite a bit, one of the things I was taught is that over half of beer choice is based on blind baseless loyalty. And that's quite frustrating! That's why blind tasting is so good.

So I guess you're saying American microbrewery beers stand out compared to American major commercial beers. But is this a huge feet?

If you're saying American Microbrewery beers are BETTER than microbrewery beers elsewhere, I completely disagree, and think it's a matter of what you've tasted. I'm sure no one from outside of Australia on these forums has tasted James Squire or Little Creatures. And those two are hardly even micro-breweries now, they're HUGE in Australia. On top of that there are LOADS of small breweries here as there also are in Germany, Austria, Czech etc.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:00:AM   #59
Nimreitz
Make America Great Again

Fair enough. I'd put Sprecher and Lakefront against your brands any day, but I'm not speaking from any experience.

And for the record, there's something fun about drinking ****ty American Light Beer in extreme quantities. My personal favorite is Busch Light followed by Keystone Light. It would be weird to have a keg party with a good beer, it's like an oxymoron. How can it be a party if there's good beer?

Last edited by Nimreitz; 02-04-2012 at 09:09:AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12:AM   #60
Alex
sKIp_E

Boddington's I think is pretty crappy to be honest. For some reason it's one of the British Ales that has really made it in the US, and I don't get why.

James Squire do an AWESOME Amber Ale, which is a sort of a Red Ale/Brown Ale I guess. And they do an awesome Golden Ale too - which is very different than most run of the mill Pale Ales (which is a very different type of beer than an IPA - just to be clear).

Little Creatures do an awesome, fairly low strength (3.7% I think) ale called Rogers. It's a sort of amber ale too, I guess. They also do what they call a "Bright Ale" which almost looks like a lager in a glass, but tastes quite different.

Then there are all the tiny breweries around the place that do all sorts of things. Most places do different varieties of stouts, porters, pale ales, honey beers, honey wheat beers, red ales, brown ales and india pale ales.

I generally drink LOADS more ales than lagers, as the variety in lagers doesn't compare to the variety in ales. A lager ALWAYS tastes like a lager. Yeah, you get light ones, heavy ones, metallic tastic, crap tasting, nice tasting, hoppy, floral, etc etc. But they still taste very much like a lager. Ales vary LOADS, and you get so many different flavours coming through. Even your Boddington's is an ale. Lakefront's is a lager - but I'm sure a very nice one. But there are sooo many 'nice lagers'. Black Bavarian I'd be very interested in trying.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:31:AM   #61
Nimreitz
Make America Great Again

Yeah, I edited the post. Decided to just take 10 seconds and google and yours look about the same as ours although with less variety. I personally drink almost all dark ales or stouts and while I have no problem guzzling anything, I just don't care for lighter colored beers all that much. Hefeweiss is the bane of my existence; you know I ordered a Hacker-Pschorr every time I went into one bar for like 4 months before I realized/accepted I hated it? The Bavarian checks tricked me!

Anyway, my tastes are why I have drifted over into more specialty beers, because with the exception of Guinness and Newcastle (which I love) there just aren't that many popular darker beers. Luckily there are good Bavarian brewers, historically unaffiliated with 1860, who indulge me on that. Spaten Optimator is just grand. We also have a local Hofbrauhaus, so that's great. Wish I hadn't given up carbonated beverages to lose my beer gut.

Oh, and stay away from Scotch Ale. It tastes like huffing an exhaust pipe.

EDIT: Anyway, just went to take a look at the store that WOULD have Aussie beer in Milwaukee if anyone did, and all I see is Boags, Coopers, and of course Fosters.

Last edited by Nimreitz; 02-04-2012 at 09:52:AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:22:AM   #62
Alex
sKIp_E

Coopers is ok. But I bet they only pale ale. It's the bane of my existence because loads of idiot Australians drink it thinking it's so good and different. It's reasonable, but not great, and they only drink it because they're lager a drinkers and don't realise that as far as ales go, it's not very different at all.

There is loads of variety of you check out some of the proper micro breweries.

I also agree with you, white, wheat, weiss, call it what you will, is horrible.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:23:AM   #63
Alex
sKIp_E

Try Coopers Sparkling if you can get it. Not great, but quite nice, and easy to drink too. Much better than Coopers pale..

Coopers Extra Stout and Dark Ale are nice too.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:42:AM   #64
Nimreitz
Make America Great Again

Yeah, they had like 4 types. Don't remember now, and it's on the other side of the city, which really goes out of my way for alcohol, so don't know when I'll make it down next.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:39:AM   #65
Alex
sKIp_E

I wouldn't go that far for Coopers.

Tags
fifa 14