Soccer Gaming Forums
Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Rules User CP Tools Home

Go Back   Soccer Gaming Forums | FIFA Forums, FIFA Mods, Futball > Management Games > Football Manager Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 3.90 average. Display Modes
Old 20-11-2010, 03:03:AM   #599
Xifio
The Von Trapps

Xifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for Xifio

scraped through the group stage with a win over Poland ... and the draw is very kind indeed: Ukraine in the quarters (just like in the 2006 WC; a good omen, perchance?), and then -- unless Greece pulls a 2004 -- it'll be England in the semis ... looking forward to that!

Xifio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 06:01:AM   #600
Nimreitz

Nimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
Send a message via ICQ to Nimreitz
Good luck. Ukraine is overrated a little as usual, but that probably won't matter in 2012 like it will in say... 2018.

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'
Nimreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 03:26:PM   #601
Mus
YELLOW CARD: Untrustworthy

Mus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud ofMus has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Mus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimreitz View Post
Yeah.... me too
You can save the tactic with the changed mentality, then assign it to another match preperation slot, that would increase the familiaraity with it, doubt that it would make a huge difference though.
Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 07:06:PM   #602
Xifio
The Von Trapps

Xifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for XifioXifio could be mistaken for Xifio
Quote:
Good luck. Ukraine is overrated a little as usual, but that probably won't matter in 2012 like it will in say... 2018.
cheers, i needed it:

couldn't control the ball, couldn't dominate the match, but they only scored through an early dubious penalty ... tried force the pace a little more to get an early goal in extra time and kill of the match, but that didn't work either ... luckily Gigi came up with a big save in the shootout, and the penalty takers held their nerve to send us through to semis!

sadly though, Greece did pull a 2004, and have denied me the chance to humiliate England in the semis

I'll need work on my tactics to avoid getting sucker-punched by the Greeks ...

Old 20-11-2010, 07:19:PM   #603
Nimreitz

Nimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowNimreitz is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
Wow, if you make it to the final all your players will be suspended.

Old 20-11-2010, 07:28:PM   #604
Xifio
The Von Trapps

Quote:
Wow, if you make it to the final all your players will be suspended.
I'd like to think I could blame that on some yellow card bug in this FM iteration? hopefully I can get the team to keep the ball away from the Greeks, and have the team not sit too far in the Greek half so that we don't have to commit any desperate fouls when defending their attempted fast breaks ...

Old 21-11-2010, 06:12:AM   #605
Nimreitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xifio View Post
I'd like to think I could blame that on some yellow card bug in this FM iteration?
Yeah that's what I meant. It's bad this year.

Old 21-11-2010, 07:13:AM   #606
Xifio
The Von Trapps

god damn Greeks! such a dichotomy of emotion facing them: they threw their penalties away to gift us the win in the shootout, but they've tired my players out by forcing them to run for 120 minutes for the second time in a week ...

the pre-match plan worked well for the most part: we kept most of the ball, didn't play too far up the pitch, created tons of chances, and restricted them to long-range efforts with no chances to break quickly ... but the end product was missing, and my players were getting tired fast ... so I decided to instruct them to go for the jugular, and nearly paid the price -- early in extra time, the Greeks set off on a break, and they broke fast! but Ninis could only hit the post when he had the goal and Buffon at his mercy ...

anyway, sort of numbly pleased to be through to the final having only won one match in the whole tournament ... but as a reward I get Spain in the final ...

luckily the yellow card bug didn't really crop up, so I'm only deprived of Domenico Criscito for the final ... but my players are so tired, I'm half expecting to be blown away by the in-form and best-rated Spaniards ... it's going to take some seriously meticulous planning to avoid a 3 or 4 goal hammering, let alone to keep ourselves in contention as long as possible ... I'm going to leave all that for tomorrow ...

Old 21-11-2010, 07:28:AM   #607
Nimreitz

Hahaha, winning the Italian way I see.

Old 21-11-2010, 01:13:PM   #608
Nimreitz

Probably going to jinx myself, but I seem to have found a working formula by playing more narrow than my instincts tell me. Since I'm using inverse wingers it makes sense to have everyone more narrow, and then just tell my elite fullbacks to run the sideline on offense.

Coentrao and Lahm are absolutely incredible.

Also I've told my team to only use cautious tackling because of so many bookings and red cards.

EDIT: Just noticed this... why doesn't van Persie have the "curls ball" PPM this year?

Last edited by Nimreitz; 21-11-2010 at 01:15:PM.
Old 21-11-2010, 06:19:PM   #609
Xifio
The Von Trapps

against Russia, against the co-hosts Ukraine, AND against the Greeks, my boys just could not execute the plan I had for each match ... then, in the FINAL of the tournament, after being drained physically, and -- provided the game engine actually accounts for this -- mentally, by consecutive penalty shootout victories following 120 minutes of running, they execute every plan to perfection! go figure ...

the plan was simple enough: we were too tired to be chasing the game at any point, so we had to keep the ball for most of the match in order to dictate the pace of the game, score whenever the opportunity presented itself, and tightly guard against giving Iniesta, Xavi, Torres, Villa, or Alonso, any time to pick an opening ... and they did exactly that! Torres' 30 yard effort that cracked the crossbar was as close as they came ...

the goal coming in the 5th minute of added time at the end of the second half was obviously not planned for, but left absolutely no time for Spain to come back ... Quags drove into the box, Busquets the substitute made the illegal challenge, and Pirlo duly delivered the crowning goal ...

my first win against quality opposition, my second win of the tournament, and it brings home the trophy ... FM 11 what can you say? [shaking my head with a smirk on my face]

Old 21-11-2010, 10:33:PM   #610
Nimreitz

Ridiculously unrealistic of FM that Spain had so little possession, but congrats. Massive win.

Old 21-11-2010, 10:38:PM   #611
Filipower
Bunburyist

Filipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowFilipower is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
Send a message via MSN to Filipower
That's the thing, that's what Xifio had been wanting since the start and only got in the final, and against Spain from all teams; it just makes it so much better that he overclassed them in possession...