Soccer Gaming Forums
Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Rules User CP Tools Home

Go Back   Soccer Gaming Forums | FIFA Forums, FIFA Mods, Futball > Management Games > Other Management Games > Championship Manager Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2005, 01:42:AM   #1
Sir Calumn

Cm5

Hi everybody...

Just got CM5 yesterday, and I have to say I'm impressed. While it's perhaps not quite as good as FM2005, it's still a damn good game with many excellent features and is very enjoyable to play.

Has anyone else bought it yet, or are you guys all steering clear and remaining faithful to SI?

Anyway, I've written a review of what I thought of the game which you can find here . Please feel free to take a look.

Old 21-03-2005, 01:48:AM   #2
PSVFOREVER
Fan Favourite

PSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nice
Im gonna try it. I dont have enough time now though
I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of freezing cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for letting us work there, and when we got home, our Dad would murder us in cold blood, each night, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah." But you try and tell the young people of today that... and they won't believe ya'.
Old 21-03-2005, 02:26:AM   #3
Fellachap
Youth Team

Fellachap is on a distinguished road
I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

I'm finding it far easier to play than FM2005. It is far more arcadey but that for some reason means it's more addictive. It is lightning fast, i can't remember a CM that has been faster.

Now the downsides. Because of the arcadey feel of it, it does throw up some really weird things and results. On other teams results, the final scores seem quite realistic but if you click to see the games stats and scorers it seems they just make that up. In 90% of the computers games the scorers are defenders that have come off the bench three minutes before the end of the game and scored hat-tricks!!!! Ok, not really a problem if the scores are realistic but when trying to scout players it's a bit tricky. Also the amount of penalties and own goals is extremely high. In one match, i had the game on *Fast Result* where the players on the 2d screen just go ballistic and the game ends in about 30 seconds. I didn't have replays on so all i knew was that i had won 1-0. I went to the overview screen and my only goal was from a penalty from Alan Stubbs, well done there, the bad thing being.........he missed a further FIVE penalties afterwards!!!! I have also won a game 3-0 against Preston in the cup with all my goals coming from own goals!!
Another thing I noticed was Arsenal and Man Utd loaning in superstars all the time, players that surely wouldn't go out on loan, and also outside of the transfer window, didn't think that was allowed.

I have to add here that I have not downloaded the patch yet and so some of these things might have been resolved in it.

I know the downsides are longer than the upsides but thats cos i wouldn't be able to fit all the upsides on here. This is a really good COMPUTER GAME. It clearly has been written for the consoles and transported to the PC rather than the other way round. This makes for a fast paced, fun game. It's TCM with the depth of FM2005. If you like to take a month playing a season then steer clear. I've only played it since saturday morning and i'm already into pre-season in my thrid season.

So for me, for a quick thrill go for this, if you have the patience and a lot of time then go for Fm2005

p.s. Rooney's brother is in this game, he is only 14 and is already awesome. He has 100 for shot power and accuracy and over 90 for most other things. SIGN HIM UP!!!

COME ON YOU TOFFEES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-03-2005, 02:42:AM   #4
Zlatan
Fan Favourite

Zlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud ofZlatan has much to be proud of
Well at first it sucked but with the patch update it's quite good. Still can't beat FM 2005 by any chance.

"Mijn hart is rood zwart rood met drie witte kruisjes in het midden"
Old 21-03-2005, 04:12:AM   #5
rpvankasteren
Fan Favourite

rpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud ofrpvankasteren has much to be proud of
I hope to get it really soon, so I can try it myself.
Old 21-03-2005, 12:16:PM   #6
John_Arne_Riise
Senior Squad

John_Arne_Riise is on a distinguished road
Ill just try it to see what its like

Last edited by rpvankasteren; 21-03-2005 at 09:55:PM.
Old 21-03-2005, 08:54:PM   #7
Stotty
Fan Favourite

Stotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud ofStotty has much to be proud of
Nice review calumn, good read Proves helpful and goes through all the important factors which would influence people's decision when buying the game. It might be a nice idea if you update it after your first season, commenting on the realism of where some of the teams finish in the leagues and cups.

It did have quiet a few spelling mistakes, but being english i could get the general gist of what you were saying

20LEGEND

Old 21-03-2005, 10:07:PM   #8
Tom
That Nice Guy

Tom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
yeah, the odd grammar mistake too, but who cares

good review.

TROD.

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

Old 21-03-2005, 10:16:PM   #9
PSVFOREVER
Fan Favourite

PSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nicePSVFOREVER is just really nice
yeah, it was a good review, only 1 thing i missed though: training, it seems to have changed pretty much.
I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of freezing cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for letting us work there, and when we got home, our Dad would murder us in cold blood, each night, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah." But you try and tell the young people of today that... and they won't believe ya'.
Old 21-03-2005, 11:29:PM   #10
Sir Calumn

Sorry about that, I have never got used to the idea of training. In fact, if anyone wants to write a paragraph on the training please do, I'll add it in and attribute it to you.

I will probably try and do an update when I have got more into the game, right now I am only a month or so into the season. It's quite difficult to do well actually, tactics designing is a real challenge.

Old 21-03-2005, 11:50:PM   #11
PSVFOREVER
Fan Favourite

training has always been a dark area of CM
Old 21-03-2005, 11:52:PM   #12
Sir Calumn

It always looked to me that CM4 realised what a crap job they had done with the tactics engine, so they thought they'd try to make up for it by giving us training, but this was poorly done and had little to no effect on the game. Apparently the training in CM5 is excellent, but to be honest I would have no idea how to test this, having never used training before or watched the effects it's had in previous games.

Old 22-03-2005, 12:11:AM   #13
Tom
That Nice Guy

Tom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for nowTom is on Lord Azrael's good graces, for now
keep trying, its supposed to be good...

TROD.

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.