R.E.S.P.E.C.T - That's what the FA wants.

MikeyM

Big Daddy
Once again the FA have decided that a new initiative must be hurriedly introduced to the English game. This one is fine in principle because the behaviour of players towards officials was particularly bad last season.

Today saw the first run of this "Respect" initiative and I must say it was some way from what I was expecting. Reports had been about how the captain would be the only player allowed to talk to the referee to argue decisions - that went out of the window.

One incident seemed very well dealt with, A Portsmouth player disputed a linesman's verdict on a throw in and had a quick snap - he was given short shrift but he decided he wasn't finished so the ref booked him, fair enough.

But then a United player had a quick and similar initial reaction to another decision and the ref decided to stop the game to get Gary Neville (The Captain) to tell the United player (Fletcher) not to argue. This stopped the game for at least a minute.

Once again the FA and their referees display their apparent lack of the concept of "consistency"

I'm sure we'd all like to see a game devoid of players yelling abuse at officials - we know it's setting a bad example to the kids - the players of tomorrow.

But in analysing this phenomenon I come to the conclusion that the referees and linesmen have to adapt their behaviour towards the players too.

I don't know if this is an English phenomenon, but there are too many officials who behave like they are the stars of the game. We've all seen it, the very exaggerated theatrical presentation of a card - the pointing to a spot on the floor expecting the player to trot 20yards to him (instead of running over to the players) And in worse cases, the blatantly wrong decisions made.

No-one likes people behaving like this, so understandably this kind of behaviour gets the player's backs up. Not an excuse for poor respect - but a reason behind it.

It never used to be like this, I was listening to Lou Macari today talking about how referees and players were on an even footing and referee's would talk to the players during a game - making for a better atmosphere and therefore mutual respect. I present a hypothetical scenario that Macari alluded to.

A player is running past the ref who has just missed a handball in the box. The player jogs past and says to the ref "you're having a nightmare ref" or "you must need glasses"

In times gone by (Macari's era) the Ref would have shot back with a quip of his own and the game would have rolled on.

Referees these days don't do that. In an extreme case they'd book the player (inflaming an already somewhat controversial situation) or else they behave like the player is something they've stepped in (we've all seen the self satisfied, nose up pose adopted by today's officials) And just how are you supposed to respect someone who doesn't show any back.

Respect - it's a two way street.
 

Zakov

Senior Squad
just bollocks, if they want respect then they better earn it. Judging by standard of the refereeing in EPL in past seasons, the last thing they deserve is R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Its another campaign to give referees absolute power on the pitch regardless of how wrong their decisions are. Tbh I don't think referees are really judged based on their performances, if they were then why the low standard of refereeing all these years. Our best referee in the last few years was Graham Poll, imagine that. That prick is just an arrogant <unt who can't even remember how many cards he gives.

I also don't buy all this "only captains are allowed to approach the referee nonsense".
The captains role is just helping out the referee basically, as explained above, they aren't even to allowed to make a case for their teammates, just there to stop them from approaching the ref.
The thing that bugs me the most, the referees union or the FA can't even come out to admit or apologize when they make a horrible decision(which could cost a team in terms of goals, points, championships, suspensions, and relegation.)
Keith Hackett can take this campaign and shove it up his arse.
 

Zakov

Senior Squad
To be fair the best referees are the ones that usually stay out of the picture in a game. Not the attention seeking ones like Poll.
I can't understand why people rate Poll so highly when he was refereeing our league, sure at times he was half-decent, but he's typically shown his true colours by releasing that book, referees aren't meant to be stars they just have to accept that. When was the last time we heard from Collina? He retired quietly and happily, didn't he?
 

MikeyM

Big Daddy
Zakov;2560109 said:
To be fair the best referees are the ones that usually stay out of the picture in a game. Not the attention seeking ones like Poll.
I can't understand why people rate Poll so highly when he was refereeing our league, sure at times he was half-decent, but he's typically shown his true colours by releasing that book, referees aren't meant to be stars they just have to accept that. When was the last time we heard from Collina? He retired quietly and happily, didn't he?

Yeah, and ironically he's actually a star! But he got there through being an excellent referee. Premier League referees behave like they are the main attraction, which as I said is a major problem when it comes to respect.
 

Seán D

fm prodigy
Referees dont deserve respect. How can you respect a ref that doesn't give a blatant peno when he was stand 2 ******* yards away.
 

pede54

Team Captain
When Ashley Cole got stroppy with the ref last season, when he turned his back on the ref and pointed over his shoulder to his number as if to say, "Just book me FFS ", John Terry ran over to Cole and told him quite clearly to walk away, even pushing Cole towards Chelsea's own half. JT then had a few words to the ref, (in fact he apologised for Cole's behaviour we later learned), and the incident was over.

Terry was then accused by the media of leading the "mob" who "surrounded" the ref on that occasion, which just was not true. There was no "mob" of players and the ref thanked JT after the game, for doing a captains job by keeping his players under control.

I have to agree that in my opinion it should be the captain only who mediates between the ref and the players. Once the players get used to that idea the better. Some players simply cannot be trusted to behave, whereas in most cases the captain can, otherwise he would not be the captain.

Games can get too intense sometimes these days, and players on the field think that they can do anything they please, and get away with it. I thought Ashley Cole was a disgrace that day, and he embarrassed the club with his behaviour, because he was totally dis-respectful. Not just to the ref, but to Chelsea and to myself, a Chelsea fan.

Look at the player bust up in last seasons CL final. Players who think it's fine to have a mass brawl on the pitch need to be sorted out. Thats why this latest initiative is not just about respect to referee's. It's also about players respecting each other too.

I saw Tevez yesterday ( Just the latest example), once again grab an opposing player around the throat. That is just NOT acceptable behaviour from a player who has millions of kids watching his every move.

The Charity Shield aint exactly a CL final, so what is so wrong with a person that even in a low key CHARITY match, the player has a fit of uncontrolled violence towards another player? It's so over the top it's actually pitiful.

I even heard Gary Neville, the Man U captain, defending Tevez after the game. There are no excuses for acts of violence like that in football, in this day and age. I feel that Neville failed the test miserably yesterday in his attempt to excuse Tevez's throathold. That is the sort of thing that has to be stamped out.

The players have no respect for anyone anymore, they are arrogant with their heads too far up their own arses, and it's long past the time when the simple truth needs to be drummed into them before they turn the beautiful game into the ugly game.

Of course most refs are crap, but that really has not a lot to do with the aims of this initiative. So, anything that attempts to educate the players about respect is welcomed by me. Would all round respect and better behaviour from the players be such a bad thing really. I don't think so.
 

Arnau

NGR LVR
Seán Denny;2560359 said:
Referees dont deserve respect. How can you respect a ref that doesn't give a blatant peno when he was stand 2 ******* yards away.

+1 **** refs.
 

snoppf1

Senior Squad
MikeyM;2560004 said:
Once again the FA have decided that a new initiative must be hurriedly introduced to the English game. This one is fine in principle because the behaviour of players towards officials was particularly bad last season.

Today saw the first run of this "Respect" initiative and I must say it was some way from what I was expecting. Reports had been about how the captain would be the only player allowed to talk to the referee to argue decisions - that went out of the window.

One incident seemed very well dealt with, A Portsmouth player disputed a linesman's verdict on a throw in and had a quick snap - he was given short shrift but he decided he wasn't finished so the ref booked him, fair enough.

But then a United player had a quick and similar initial reaction to another decision and the ref decided to stop the game to get Gary Neville (The Captain) to tell the United player (Fletcher) not to argue. This stopped the game for at least a minute.

Once again the FA and their referees display their apparent lack of the concept of "consistency"

I'm sure we'd all like to see a game devoid of players yelling abuse at officials - we know it's setting a bad example to the kids - the players of tomorrow.

But in analysing this phenomenon I come to the conclusion that the referees and linesmen have to adapt their behaviour towards the players too.

I don't know if this is an English phenomenon, but there are too many officials who behave like they are the stars of the game. We've all seen it, the very exaggerated theatrical presentation of a card - the pointing to a spot on the floor expecting the player to trot 20yards to him (instead of running over to the players) And in worse cases, the blatantly wrong decisions made.

No-one likes people behaving like this, so understandably this kind of behaviour gets the player's backs up. Not an excuse for poor respect - but a reason behind it.

It never used to be like this, I was listening to Lou Macari today talking about how referees and players were on an even footing and referee's would talk to the players during a game - making for a better atmosphere and therefore mutual respect. I present a hypothetical scenario that Macari alluded to.

A player is running past the ref who has just missed a handball in the box. The player jogs past and says to the ref "you're having a nightmare ref" or "you must need glasses"

In times gone by (Macari's era) the Ref would have shot back with a quip of his own and the game would have rolled on.

Referees these days don't do that. In an extreme case they'd book the player (inflaming an already somewhat controversial situation) or else they behave like the player is something they've stepped in (we've all seen the self satisfied, nose up pose adopted by today's officials) And just how are you supposed to respect someone who doesn't show any back.

Respect - it's a two way street.

Respect will not be needed to be enforced if the inflated egos, greed, money and fame hungry people involed were humble and actualy loved football
 


Top