Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top half of the table (just) and FA cup quarter finalists (Chelsea) thread 2016-17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conte proved his worth with Italy & average squad ... I think he will do quite well with good chelsea squad ...
    sigpic

Comment

very impressive defensive display ...
      sigpic

Comment

For Italy he had Chellini, Barzagli and Bonicci. At Chelsea he has Zouma, Cahill and Terry.

Comment

We'll sign at least one good centre back, Zouma does have a lot of potential and maybe he can get one more good season out of Terry, so I'm not desperately worried about our defence
          CHELSEA FC :: JK TAMMEKA TARTU :: VANCOUVER WHITECAPS :: RODA JC KERKRADE

Comment

I find CBs to be much more about system fit than anything else so I'm fine with what we have for now. We have three competent-to-good players and one promising player. We also have Ake and Christensen who might develop into CBs.

Comment

Actually, I think both Cahill and Terry are Top 50 CBs at least, and Zouma might be, too. Considering our current situation I'd say that's good enough.

Comment

Zouma is vastly superior to Cahill already and will be world class in a year or two so we only need to worry about one starting spot. Stones would have been ideal partner for him (agile little figure and big bad n......) but that ship has sailed for us. Cahill will do for cover and I also don't see ivanovic future as RB but he could still have years as quality CB with right coach (conte)

Comment

It would be nice if Conte plays Cesc as pivot and Matic-Kante on his sides, Hazard SS and Costa CF.
                  My signature was too big and removed by the mod team

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael View Post
                    I find CBs to be much more about system fit than anything else so I'm fine with what we have for now. We have three competent-to-good players and one promising player. We also have Ake and Christensen who might develop into CBs.
                    Who?

EDIT: Oh you probably mean Ivanovic as the other CB and Zouma the promissing one.
                    Last edited by Pogba4Now; 29-07-2016, 03:30:AM.

Comment

Actually, I think both Cahill and Terry are Top 50 CBs at least, and Zouma might be, too. Considering our current situation I'd say that's good enough.
                      Cahill no way. He is average for a team like Chelsea. Terry is good but will soon be declining rapidly.

Comment

Terry has been declining rapidly since AVB in 2012 - the leadership is still there but the positioning is becoming increasingly dodgy. Cahill will never be better that good cover and to think otherwise shows Azrael's usual lack of ambition (why not just stick with Cahill and Mikel and every other mediocre player because we're used to them?)

Comment

Considering that we finished 9th and that every team uses 2-3 CBs, having Top 50 CBs is actually above our current level. The CB market is a seller's one and we simply aren't going to get any of the top CBs right now. I don't believe in bringing in new playera who are no better than what we have because you create a lockjam that lasts several years (e.g. whem we bought Cahill instead of a top player). Our best bet is to ride those two until Zouma is healthy and can take over and hope Christensen can be our second player or reenter the market next year.

All that said, I think the CB market is crazy considering that tactical fit is more important than talent. Some truly garbage players have had success at CB.

It's not lack of ambition, it's realism. Who do you replace Cahill with?

Comment

I don't agree that terry and Cahill are world top 50 CBs, or if terry still is he won't be for very long. You replace Cahill with koulibaly or mustafi or someone else and bump him to cover. If the new guy doesn't cut the mustard, you sell Cahill, bump koulibaly to cover and sign someone else until you hit the right man. Part of the reason we were so bad last season (and also had such a bad start and final league position in 2012) is because we used azrael philosophy and thought 'meh, let's stick with what we've got, upgrading is expensice and may not work, surely it's good enough....'

Comment

Considering that we finished 9th and that every team uses 2-3 CBs, having Top 50 CBs is actually above our current level. The CB market is a seller's one and we simply aren't going to get any of the top CBs right now. I don't believe in bringing in new playera who are no better than what we have because you create a lockjam that lasts several years (e.g. whem we bought Cahill instead of a top player). Our best bet is to ride those two until Zouma is healthy and can take over and hope Christensen can be our second player or reenter the market next year.

All that said, I think the CB market is crazy considering that tactical fit is more important than talent. Some truly garbage players have had success at CB.

It's not lack of ambition, it's realism. Who do you replace Cahill with?
                              ArnauSG says Mustafi will cost 25-30 m. Conte better put his ego aside and listen to him. You could easily blow Arsenel away.

Comment

Yep. His release clause is 50, a bid around 30 and its yours.
                                My signature was too big and removed by the mod team

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X