No announcement yet.

USA National Team Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually though we should have brought Adu in place of Ching to sit on the bench and get a taste of the atmosphere. And of course TT instead of Wolff.

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'

Comment

My grades for the Latvia game:

Keller - 7

Lewis - 5.5 (made a couple of bad giveaways and got caught out of position a couple of times)
      Conrad - 6.5 (a little bit better than in the Venezuela game)
      Pope - 6.5 (quiet game, didn't have much to do)
      Cherundolo - 7.5 (the positive definitely outweighs the negative in this game)

Mastroeni - 7.5 (he's going to make it hard for Arena to keep him out of the starting line-up)
      O'Brien - 7 (not much more you could have asked from him; now all he needs to do is not get injured)
      Beasley - 5 (not a terrible game, but he looked mediocre on a night where every other US midfielder looked good)
      Donovan - 7.5 (did a good job of running the show)

Johnson - 7 (he may not have scored, but he was a pain in the ass for Latvia all game long)
      McBride - 7 (solid, nice goal)
      Watch out, Laszlo Panaflex!

Comment

So how do you give yourself legendary status in a friendly you ask?

Playing with <--- that on your head (couldn't find a better pic) and scoring the winning goal with your head :Bow:

Comment

I like the look of the USA team. They looked very strong, hungry and up for it. Brian McBride is a great player in my opinion. One of my favourite strikers in the EPL. He reminds me a lot of Teddy Sherringham at his peak. Good luck in Germany USA. I really hope you go far.

@ Run DMB......I owe you an apology man, for my very rude attitude towards you a while ago. I'm sorry dude and I hope you will accept that from me. No excuses, i was a prick.
          sigpic

Comment

Two problems that I have:

1 - Our finishing still sucks.
            2 - Why are the players getting so tired with 25-30 minutes to go ?

Comment

Originally posted by $teauA
              Because Frankie isn't there to show them how running yourself into the ground for 90 minutes is done.

Okay, I'll leave now.

Comment

I rescind the comments I made about Ching earlier. While he may not have fully deserved his call-up, tactically he was the right choice.
                Aston Villa's new striker Marlon Harewood became annoyed when a local newspaper reporter asked him why he would have wanted to be a painter if he had not been a footballer. When told the information was on his website, Harewood muttered: "I'll kill my brother". (Sunday Mirror)

Comment

Oh and if Bruce starts Conrad I'm gonna shoot myself.

Comment

Originally posted by $teauA
                    Two problems that I have:

1 - Our finishing still sucks.
                    I agree with the first part, but I only saw the last 30 minutes and we didn't really look tired. In fact, except for some stupid mistakes at the back that should have led to at least one goal, we controlled the game and looked very talented. Eddie Johnson convinced me that he just needs to start at the World Cup, he looked incredibly talented and is probably ready for a move across the pond.

The other problem we have is the counter attack. We're very poor defending the counter attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimreitz
                      I agree with the first part, but I only saw the last 30 minutes and we didn't really look tired. In fact, except for some stupid mistakes at the back that should have led to at least one goal, we controlled the game and looked very talented. Eddie Johnson convinced me that he just needs to start at the World Cup, he looked incredibly talented and is probably ready for a move across the pond.

The other problem we have is the counter attack. We're very poor defending the counter attack.
                      Yeah you're right they didn't really look that tired in the game against Latvia but they sure did in the first two games and you can see it in their body language.

As for the counter attack, unless we change our strategy that's not gonna change. Our two wing backs are very key in our attack so obviously there's gonna be some gaps there when a team goes on a counter (:/). We should just be glad we have a world class GK to take care of dangerous counter attacks.

Comment

Let's start throwing out some line-ups for our first game:

--------------------Keller------------------

Cherundolo----Pope---------Gooch----Lewis

--------------------Reyna-----------------

Beasley-----------------------------Convey

-------------------Donovan---------------

----------Johnson---------McBride--------

If Reyna isn't healthy, Mastroeni.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimreitz
                          I actually though we should have brought Adu in place of Ching to sit on the bench and get a taste of the atmosphere. And of course TT instead of Wolff.
                          what has Adu done to warrant a NT call up? As much as the MLS wants to promote this kid, the line has to be drawn somewhere. Wolff's continued presence on the team mystifies me as well.

Comment

----------------------Keller---------------------

---------------Pope----------Onyewu-----------
                            ---Cherundolo--------------------------Lewis----

-----------Reyna-----------Mastroeni------------
                            ---------Donovan---------------------Beasley----

-------------Johnson------McBride---------------

That is what I believe Arena will choose vs. the Czechs. Mastroeni will be keeping an eye on Rosicky, Reyna will be marking Nedved. Beasley will be given the job of tracking back to keep Poborsky out of the game.

If it was up to me, I would be more attack-minded and use this midfield:

------------Reyna-------O'Brien-------------
                            ------Donovan------------------Convey-----
                            Watch out, Laszlo Panaflex!

Comment

Yeah you're actually right, Beas doesn't deserve to start. He was s*it in those friendlys while Convey and O'Brien played well.

Comment

Originally posted by jim
                                what has Adu done to warrant a NT call up? As much as the MLS wants to promote this kid, the line has to be drawn somewhere. Wolff's continued presence on the team mystifies me as well.
                                Because you know he's going to be there in the future and you bring his as the last man on the squad to soak in the atmosphere. Like Ronaldo in 94.

Comment

Working...
                                X