World Cup to have 48 teams?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup to have 48 teams?

FIFA is expected to decide in January whether they will expand the World Cup from a 32-team tournament to as many as 48 countries.
    Gianni Infantino, elected to the post in February to replace Sepp Blatter, said the governing FIFA Council had been “rather positive” in a meeting Thursday about a possible expansion. “The level of quality of football is increasing all over the world,” he said. A vote will be taken when the council meets again in Zurich in January, he said.

Infantino pledged during his campaign for the presidency to expand the World Cup to 40 nations, but he suggested in a speech in Colombia this month that the number rise to 48.

Infantino’s desire to “optimize” the structure of the World Cup was part of his vision for a so-called FIFA 2.0 plan that was unveiled Thursday by the organization, which has spent much of the last six years mired in scandal.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/sp...e=sectionfront

I have a feeling this will go through.

Pfffff
    My signature was too big and removed by the mod team

Comment

Might as well make it 64, hold it in March and call it March Madness...

Sig courtesy of Tosiek

Comment

If it becomes 8 groups of 6 ... maybe ... if 12 groups, we will end up with so many shitty games and I hate 3 teams advancing from a group ...
        sigpic

Comment

World Cup to have 48 teams?

Guess Israel will finally make a World Cup but it's gonna make most of the WC unwatchable. At least you'll get the extra nations happy for those 3 matches.

Comment

Authorities are making group stages a joke for most major competitions ...
            sigpic

Comment

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Comment

No business works like that. This is a business and they want to make money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

that's true ... I see 64 teams soon ...
                  sigpic

Comment

Should have 194 teams
                    CHELSEA FC :: JK TAMMEKA TARTU :: VANCOUVER WHITECAPS :: RODA JC KERKRADE

Comment

Andorra-San Marino World Cup 2022 opening game.

Andy Selva MVP
                      My signature was too big and removed by the mod team

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Didier Drogba View Post
                        Should have 194 teams
                        Bangladesh would definitely get a shot at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Back Door Skip View Post
                          Might as well make it 64, hold it in March and call it March Madness...
                          Nahhh.. At this stage they should just never move on from the qualifiers. The qualifying groups become the "World Cup groups" - 3 qualify automatically in Europe, every team from South-America, Aussies, U.S. and Canada (out of pity) too, and from there on we'll have some twisted knock-out stage.

The playoff stage matches should be held at places like La Paz, Qatar, Barranquilla and Sillamäe for a change to make the matters even more interesting.

This way The World Cup will truly become a year in year out thing.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X