Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They tried but kept getting picked off.
    Originally posted by Turk123
    Bobby you are so repulsive , is Huge Grant your father?
    genius
    Best Poster of the Year 2008
    Most Original Poster of the Year 2008
    The Most Intelligent Member of the Year 2008
    Best Thread of the Year Crouch Named England Captain 2008
    Best Greenlandic Member 2005
    ARAB Award for Best Overall Poster
    Used longest word in SG history "Brobdingnagian"

Comment

Cosmos won the NASL Championship. Not sure what it says about the league that they can just come in and wreck up the place.
      genius

Comment

How long till they join the mls?

Comment

Well they missed out on the last expansion place and another NY club got it, so that makes it harder, but it has been said the MLS will expand to 24 teams by 2020, so you have to assume they will be one of those, despite how over represented NYC will then be.

Also, apparently Beckham is looking buy a franchise and bring it in with the next expansion.
          CHELSEA FC :: JK TAMMEKA TARTU :: VANCOUVER WHITECAPS :: RODA JC KERKRADE

Comment

The Cosmos won't be joining MLS unless this Man City-Yankees thing hits the fan. I'm pretty sure three of the next four are Orlando (Orlando City of the USL), Miami (Beckham), and Atlanta (Arthur Blank who owns the Falcons). Not sure with the fourth goes, Minnesota maybe.
            genius

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
              The Cosmos won't be joining MLS unless this Man City-Yankees thing hits the fan. I'm pretty sure three of the next four are Orlando (Orlando City of the USL), Miami (Beckham), and Atlanta (Arthur Blank who owns the Falcons). Not sure with the fourth goes, Minnesota maybe.
              Why wont they? They want to.

Comment

With Red Bull and NYCFC I don't think Garber has an interest in putting another team in NY unless they fork over a ton. A third NY team doesn't benefit them when the go to do a new TV deal, they want more markets involved. Minnesota makes sense for that sense it's a spot on the map they aren't in yet.
                genius

Comment

I was surprised they went for NYCFC, but despite that I cant see them denying the Cosmos for too long. Across the world, Cosmos are the most recognized footballing brand in America, they have their own TV deal already, stadium plans, basically they are in a better position for income generation than most MLS clubs.

Comment

If I was Red Bull I'd be pissed. Of course, if they start dominating most NY fans will claim they're die hard RBNY folks.

The whole NYCFC thing makes me wonder what kind of steam the Corona Park stadium plan ever really had.
                    Last edited by Bobby; 10-11-2013, 11:40:PM.
                    genius

Comment

When Metrostars "ended" in 2006, why didnt the group that wanted to reignite Cosmos buy and rename them, rather than let Red Bull snap it up?

RBNY really should be Cosmos, Thierry Henry is such a Cosmos player.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Didier Drogba View Post
                        When Metrostars "ended" in 2006, why didnt the group that wanted to reignite Cosmos buy and rename them, rather than let Red Bull snap it up.

RBNY really should be Cosmos, Henry is such a Cosmos player.
                        Paul Kemsley, who used to be on the board at Spurs, was in charge of the Cosmos "brand" then. It was a bit of a mess. Someone else is in charge now, and they seem to have a lot more capital behind them.
                        genius

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                          Paul Kemsley, who used to be on the board at Spurs, was in charge of the Cosmos "brand" then. It was a bit of a mess. Someone else is in charge now, and they seem to have a lot more capital behind them.
                          Ah I see. And Red Bull like to plaster their name over things, so there was no chance of them buying the Cosmos brand and being overshadowed.

I am curious about the NYCFC thing, are they gonna pump some serious money into it? What are the rules regarding loan players to the MLS, could City fill them up with their reserves?

Comment

Also, why isnt Malcolm Glazer interested in owning an MLS franchise? Him and Becks should partner up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Didier Drogba View Post
                              Ah I see. And Red Bull like to plaster their name over things, so there was no chance of them buying the Cosmos brand and being overshadowed.

I am curious about the NYCFC thing, are they gonna pump some serious money into it? What are the rules regarding loan players to the MLS, could City fill them up with their reserves?
                              http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...nd-regulations

There are a lot of roster rules, but it doesn't look like they could do that.

I think NYCFC is just brand extension for City, a way to promote the mother club. The fact that they sniffed around Sydney (http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1166269/) really makes me think that.
                              genius

Comment

Hmm, doesnt give any detail regarding loaning in players at all. It is frighteningly complicated. The manager should be Mark Hughes.

Comment

Working...
                                X