No announcement yet.

Ligue 1 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember he had some promise at Milan but got lost in favor of bigger names (Aubameyang that is)

Comment

It's winter break time now - next matches to be played in january 11-13.

The top 3:
      1. PSG 38
      2. Lyon 38
      3. Marseille 38

Last christmas PSG were leading the table by 3 points, this year they're at top only thanks to the goal difference and have earned to points less compared to last year. Shit's different with L1 than it is with the EPL, the team that leads before the winter break, usually crashes and burns in the second half of the season. Zlatan blah blah...

Marseille has had a good first half, especially compared to last year (7 points more). Gignac has been lethal, sadly that's about it when it comes to their strike force. Remy is far from being on form and Ayew seems to be the only other player who knows how to score.

If I continue comparing this season and the last, then Nice have taken the biggest leap here. Eleven points more than last season and the usual relegation strugglers are now strong in the mid-table.

The most dissapointing teams have been Lille and the title-holders Montpellier, who are 8th and 11th. Bastia is doing well, theyre defence is one of the weakest in the league but thanks to Anthony Modeste, who has banged 9 goals already, they're not looking threatened by relegation. Also Landreau will be joining them in January after some drama in Lille.

Valenciennes, Lorient and Toulouse have also been doing well. Valenciennes has started playing really attractive football with a very even squad. Same goes for Lorient who look like they're contending for a place in Europa next year. Toulouse had a superb start but are now slowing down a bit, laying on 12th position, but it's hella-tight from there up to the 4th place.

Rennes, currently the 4th placed team, have been quite impressing recently. 23-years old Romain Alessandrini has been outstanding in the midfield and is expected to recive a call up for France's next friendlies.

Comment

Wow clash, that was an amazing write up. Do you follow Ligue 1 closely? Can you give a breakdown of like 20 players who you think will play outside of France in the next 5 years?

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'

Comment

How many important players from last season did Montpelier lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Nimreitz View Post
            Do you follow Ligue 1 closely? Can you give a breakdown of like 20 players who you think will play outside of France in the next 5 years?
            I mostly follow Marseille, I have a soft spot for them but I do try to watch other matches as much as I can, also the Ligue is kind enough to upload all the highlights to their own youtube channel etc.

As for players who'd probably make it outside, there's ofcourse the obvious ones in PSG and some who I can't see leaving cause of their loyality, such as Valbuena leaving Marseille.

Who I'd think will be picked up soon would be Aubameyang from ASSE, there were some rumours about him leaving to the EPL already.
            Anthony Modeste from Nice, has scored 9 goals and is one of the main reasons why Nice is doing so well right now, algonside with Cvitanich, who is 28 but is now really gaining some form in Europe after flopping at Ajax.
            Payet from Lille, a good winger, but is already 25. Might move in the summer, though.
            Ben Yedder from Toulouse. Started the season by rivaling Zlatan for the top-scorers position. Everton is told to be interested in him.
            Yanga-Mbiwa from Montpellier, their captain. Signed a new deal after long and hard negotiations but will most likely jump the ship in a year or two.
            Remy could do better than Marseille but he's not getting any younger and his current form makes me doubt he'll leave this year.
            Mevlut Erding who did well at PSG and is now playing for Rennes could do well in the mid-table sides in England or Germany.
            Yann M'Vila, who is just 22 and has as many caps for France is your typical player who would ruin his carreer at Arsenal.
            Alain Traore is also very good in my opinion, definately could do well in the highest level in a year or two.

Can't really write more from the top of my head, Lorient, Rennes, Brest and Valenciennes all have some good young talent at their side.

How many important players from last season did Montpelier lose?
            Giroud. Other than that, they got rid of a youngster and two squad players. Now their 37-year old defender Cyril Jeunechamp got a year-long ban after punching a journalist, lol.

In other news, Marseille signed 29-year old Kadir from Valenciennes, which wasn't really what was expected to happen, but since he came for cheap...

Also, Moura finally debuted for PSG yesterday against some Qatari side. Didn't see the game, though.

Comment

Yeah, I keep hearing about Ben Yedder and Aubameyang. Can you tell us more about them?

Comment

I started watching Ajaccio games this season but haven't for a while. They are pretty terrible, though.

Sig courtesy of Tosiek

Comment

Ben Yedder is very annoying to watch. The type of player Roy Keane nd Joey Barton would like to fuck up. He's tiny and very quick, can score with both legs, likes to dribble and do annoying celebrations. Last year he came of the bench 10 times and managed to score just once, this year he broke into the starting 11 but then went clubbing with his team-mates and started getting benched, losing form.

Aubameyang is also fast and very skillful but is bigger, stronger than Ben Yedder. A good passer aswell. Last year he scored 16 goals for ASSE, before joining them, Milan loaned him out to Monaco, Lille and Dijon but couldn't really make it there but gained a lot of confidence and it shows.

Comment

Good stuff. I notice a handful of the guys you mentioned seem to be a little older, which reminded me of how Lyon won't buy a player under 22. It seems like there are more late bloomers in France than anywhere else.

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'

Comment

Yeah seems so.
                      Giroud was only playing for Tours when he was 23-24 and after his transfer to Montpellier, most thought that it was pretty much as far as he could go.

Comment

The greatest player Ligue 1 ever produced didnt shine til 25

Comment

I agree, but you got the photo wrong

Comment

Wrong.

Originally posted by clash View Post
                            Yeah seems so.
                            Giroud was only playing for Tours when he was 23-24 and after his transfer to Montpellier, most thought that it was pretty much as far as he could go.
                            Big, tall target men take longer to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimreitz View Post
                              It seems like there are more late bloomers in France than anywhere else.
                              It's the same in Italy too, but that's more down to teams not playing youth, at least they do in France

Comment

January was a terrible month for L1, again.

Rennes lost M'Vila, Montpellier lost Belhanda and Yanga-Mbiwa, Marseille lost Remy, Toulouse lost Sissoko, Lyon lost Bastos. Bordeaux lost Gouffran. All those players have been starters for their clubs.

One of the main reasons is without a doubt the fact that clubs are poor as fuck. Only PSG doesn't have to worry about money. Even Lyon has had to cut their budgets by selling/loaning out players.

It is especially difficult for the "surprise teams". Lille and Montpellier who had their share of European football after success in Ligue have handed their players some pay raise, after not being able to repeat their success, their budgets start ripping, they have to sell players to earn back money, doing that their performance suffers even more, resulting less crowd on the stands and reduced sponsor fees. Then it'll take years to build up the team again and after some success everything repeats itself.

Bastos was loaned out to Schalke but mostly players leave for the EPL. Mid and lower table teams in England know that teams accross the canal have to sell, add the fact that the EPL is the dream destination for a lot of players and bang! teams like QPR and Newcastle have their chance to buy internationals from top French clubs.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X