Elections Super Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elections Super Thread

Lots of countries have national elections this year and Germany has a bunch of state elections coming up really soon. The US might elect an actual reality TV star.

What elections are y'all watching?

I'm interested in seeing if the FDP can keep up the momentum Lencke Steiner gave them in Bremen's elections last year when they managed to claw back some seats in that election.

I'm also wondering if Rubio can withstand what's going to be big delegate surge for Trump tomorrow. Rubio is helped by the status of later state primaries not being open to non-Republicans (a large swath of Trump's voters are independents). There's no drama on the other side.
    Originally posted by Turk123
    Bobby you are so repulsive , is Huge Grant your father?
    genius
    Best Poster of the Year 2008
    Most Original Poster of the Year 2008
    The Most Intelligent Member of the Year 2008
    Best Thread of the Year Crouch Named England Captain 2008
    Best Greenlandic Member 2005
    ARAB Award for Best Overall Poster
    Used longest word in SG history "Brobdingnagian"

I'm following the us primaries and wondering if trump will land a knockout punch today. Like you say, if Rubio can just stop his campaign falling apartheid stands a chance in the later stages. I would be curious to see if trump will run as a third party candidate if Rubio wins.

On the democrat side I was enjoying the slight sanders surge but after SC it looks like normality has returned and all the democrat voters in the south are black and they like Hilary
    CHELSEA FC :: JK TAMMEKA TARTU :: VANCOUVER WHITECAPS :: RODA JC KERKRADE

Comment

We had an election months ago but because there's no significant majority the 4 parties still haven't formed a government.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Didier Drogba View Post
        I'm following the us primaries and wondering if trump will land a knockout punch today. Like you say, if Rubio can just stop his campaign falling apartheid stands a chance in the later stages. I would be curious to see if trump will run as a third party candidate if Rubio wins.
        Rumor is that Mitt Romney is being prepared to run as an independent Federalist to counter Trump.

I think Rubio can hold him off if the GOP rallies around him, as long as Carson, Cruz, and Kasich continue to hang around it becomes a tall task for Rubio. I also wonder if Rubio's image was hurt by getting in that mud with Trump, I know he had to throw punches and (as someone who cares about his country) I'm glad he did but I worry that it'll ultimately hurt him.

On the democrat side I was enjoying the slight sanders surge but after SC it looks like normality has returned and all the democrat voters in the south are black and they like Hilary
        Clintonianism is still wildly popular down here too. In fact, if you're a non-Clintonian Democrat you probably can't win a local office here.

Originally posted by Azrael View Post
        We had an election months ago but because there's no significant majority the 4 parties still haven't formed a government.
        Do you think the C's are apprehensive about a potential coalition after seeing what are basically their sister parties (Germany's FDP and Britain's Lib Dems) get wiped out?
        Last edited by Bobby; 01-03-2016, 07:05:PM.
        genius

Comment

I dunno about the sister parties, but C were 4th most voted party and PSOE, who they are trying to form a coalition with after failing with PP, are 2nd. Together I don't think they have enough seats to make it work without help from other parties. Podemos are dragging their heels and PP are refusing to help anyone. I honestly can't see anyone succeeding in forming a coalition and the votes will get fucked either way. Many, like myself, voted for PSOE as a less extreme option for the left so their potential deal with C, right-leaning, rather than Podemos, far-left, which seemed to make more sense, is upsetting.

The IU, another leftist party,are the only ones who haven't been hurt by recent debacles but the way the elections work mean that they'd need many more votes to get a seat than the bigger parties, so voting for them is impractical until the constitution is changed, which the big parties are obviously opposing.

Comment

PP and PSOE should form a grand coalition for the good of Spain.
            genius

Comment

PSOE's entire campaign was based on them not being like PP and being adamant that the PP leader needs to resign from politics and that they would never work with them. The best chance we had was PSOE-Podemos with all of the minor parties adding to the mix. That won't happen so I think we'll have another election.

Comment

Saw some good things about Trump today

Revenge of the Simple: How George W. Bush Gave Rise to Trump

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                  Clintonianism is still wildly popular down here too. In fact, if you're a non-Clintonian Democrat you probably can't win a local office here.
                  Does the South know how backward it is, or do they think they are the only sane ones?

Comment

Lots of people here vote entirely on the second amendment.

Edit: Cruz won Texas and Oklahoma, Arkansas still up in the air. He's the anti-Trump for the mainline GOP now. Wow.
                    Last edited by Bobby; 02-03-2016, 03:16:AM.
                    genius

Comment

Originally posted by Nimreitz View Post
                      Saw some good things about Trump today

Revenge of the Simple: How George W. Bush Gave Rise to Trump

I wanted to post that earlier in the thread, but it seemed out of place.

John Oliver is awesome.

Sig courtesy of Tosiek

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                        Edit: Cruz won Texas and Oklahoma, Arkansas still up in the air. He's the anti-Trump for the mainline GOP now. Wow.
                        God what a fucking stupid party. Hey, we have this guy who actually might stand a chance in the General... but no fuck it, let's go with the unlikable wackjob who is unquestionably not eligible for office because he was born in Canada and lived there for the first few years of his life.

Comment

Clinton vs. either Cruz or Trump will be the worst election of my life. I can't remember a set of more unlikable candidates on any level (honestly, not even a City Council race). Even Bush vs. Gore was better.

Edit: And you just know Trump would make it even worse by announcing Chris Christie as his VP.
                          Last edited by Bobby; 02-03-2016, 07:46:PM.
                          genius

Comment

Originally posted by Nimreitz View Post
                            God what a fucking stupid party. Hey, we have this guy who actually might stand a chance in the General... but no fuck it, let's go with the unlikable wackjob who is unquestionably not eligible for office because he was born in Canada and lived there for the first few years of his life.
                            Your tone when discussing Trump lately makes me worried about your potential vote.

Comment

If Cruz can be defined as 'mainline GOP' than the Grand Old Party is even more fucked than I thought. Hilary would eat him, I'm talking landslide.
                              CHELSEA FC :: JK TAMMEKA TARTU :: VANCOUVER WHITECAPS :: RODA JC KERKRADE

Comment

Working...
                              X