2015 NFL & College Football Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nimreitz View Post
    Multi year contracts in the NFL are meaningless and 100k means that he can get cut for essentially no cost at all to the team.
    Never really looked at it like that. But it was the reason his (American) manager advised he took the San Fran deal over Detroit

Comment

Guaranteed money (i.e. a signing bonus) is all that matters. Contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL. You can have a 100 year contract, get cut after 2 weeks, and get no money. $100k, especially, even if his money was fully guaranteed, is so insignificant as to mean nothing. He could have a 100 year deal and the team could cut him without losing much of anything in relative terms.

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'

Comment

Originally posted by Turk123
        Bobby you are so repulsive , is Huge Grant your father?
        genius
        Best Poster of the Year 2008
        Most Original Poster of the Year 2008
        The Most Intelligent Member of the Year 2008
        Best Thread of the Year Crouch Named England Captain 2008
        Best Greenlandic Member 2005
        ARAB Award for Best Overall Poster
        Used longest word in SG history "Brobdingnagian"

Comment

Impressive first up performance from my boy Hayne, even if it was just a trial

Comment

I read that he still has a lot of work to do still

has bad habits like running too upright (posture) and switches the ball too often

Is that true? Or just crap for the sake of it

Comment

Originally posted by Mus View Post
              I read that he still has a lot of work to do still

has bad habits like running too upright (posture) and switches the ball too often

Is that true? Or just crap for the sake of it
              It was his first game. Of course he has work to do. He's changed his running style a bit, but that's not going to happen over night either. He's also a strong runner considering he's so upright - and it leaves him in a much better position to step and fend (stiff arm)...

I didn't see him switching the ball too much, but I'm no NFL expert. He switched it whenever he wanted to free his other arm for a fend - and generally did it well (and the commentators mentioned that it was clever)

Comment

It's clever until a defensive player punches it as he's switching or he just plain drops the ball. Usually running backs are taught to keep the ball high and tight and not to switch hands to avoid turnovers.

Sig courtesy of Tosiek

Comment

Yeah, you only really switch hands if you get to the sideline and the ball is field-side, you want to get it sideline-side.
                  genius

Comment

Ok. But it seemed to make sense to me - when a defender was well outside his reach, to free his arm up to fend. But you guys are the experts at this game

Rugby League players do it all the time - and dropped ball is just as big a sin in that sport - plus the balls are bigger and rounder, so easier to drop.

It seems very negative to me. I get minimising risk - but there is also a huge potential gain. I also think you rarely find a sportsman that shines by doing the same thing as everyone else.

And in any case, I'm really not sure he did it that much. I've not seen anything negative in the media about it - and I've been trying to avoid Australian media.

Comment

I think he'll be fine, honestly. He'll never be a superstar but he could well become a serviceable player. He's an athletic freak and those don't grow on trees, teams will always take a flyer on one (Carolina has a guy who played basketball at a bible college on their roster, he hadn't played organized football in years). He will take some time to learn the idiosyncrasies though.

e: BYU has kind of made it their thing to try to convert rugby playing Samoans into college football players. Not sure any have gone pro though.
                      Last edited by Bobby; 17-08-2015, 03:50:AM.
                      genius

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                        I think he'll be fine, honestly. He'll never be a superstar but he could well become a serviceable player. He's an athletic freak and those don't grow on trees, teams will always take a flyer on one (Carolina has a guy who played basketball at a bible college on their roster, he hadn't played organized football in years). He will take some time to learn the idiosyncrasies though.

e: BYU has kind of made it their thing to try to convert rugby playing Samoans into college football players. Not sure any have gone pro though.
                        This guy's dad is a Fijian.

There are loads of ok Samoan, Tongan and Fijan Rugby League (and Rugby Union players). This guy really was our best - at least as far as skills that theoretically suit NFL go. Not "just another islander" if that makes sense. Certainly worth the risk. I'm wondering if they'll give him a spot on the roster just so another side can't steal him. He may not be 100% ready to go for the start of the season, but by the end of this season, or start of next, they won't want to have lost him. And from all reports the 49ers are a bit of a project team this year anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                          Ok. But it seemed to make sense to me - when a defender was well outside his reach, to free his arm up to fend. But you guys are the experts at this game

Rugby League players do it all the time - and dropped ball is just as big a sin in that sport - plus the balls are bigger and rounder, so easier to drop.

It seems very negative to me. I get minimising risk - but there is also a huge potential gain. I also think you rarely find a sportsman that shines by doing the same thing as everyone else.

And in any case, I'm really not sure he did it that much. I've not seen anything negative in the media about it - and I've been trying to avoid Australian media.
                          That's why I asked

And it was just facebook conjecture

Comment

Is Bleacher Report reliable?
                            http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-awards/page/7

Comment

Yes they are, and I've heard something similar from other sources. Looks pretty good. I watched his highlights and he looks pretty good. Few minor issues (too much ball switching in his hands), but overall a potentially solid player. He'll make the team and return kicks at the very least. Was totally hung out to dry by his QB on that drop/fumble; not a fair pass for him to get.

Thomas Muller: "We're not careless or arrogant. We're dominant'

Comment

Originally posted by Nimreitz View Post
                                Yes they are, and I've heard something similar from other sources. Looks pretty good. I watched his highlights and he looks pretty good. Few minor issues (too much ball switching in his hands), but overall a potentially solid player. He'll make the team and return kicks at the very least. Was totally hung out to dry by his QB on that drop/fumble; not a fair pass for him to get.
                                Yep. Hospital pass for sure. Do you guys use that term?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X